Friday, August 12, 2011

Da bus!

So, I mentioned I had taken my first ever trip using the bus system here in O town.  It was actually pretty easy.  Straight up fare is $1.25, if you require more than one route to get to your final destination, you have to pay a $0.05 fee, for a whopping total of $1.30.  I think I was lulled into a sense of thinking this was a can of corn right from the get go.  I had to walk three blocks to catch the bus.  It required no transfers and dropped me off within a block of work.  It did take forty minutes to get there as opposed to 10 to 15 minutes (depends on how heavy my foot is and whether the traffic light gods are on my side).  If you are prepared for the extra time you can get a lot of reading done.  The hardest part for me is having to get up earlier in order to catch the right bus.  It's incredibly tempting to hit snooze and just roll over knowing full well I can hop in my car.  This is why it took three days before I actually found the  motivation to get my ass outta bed and take the bus. 

So with my new found confidence in the bus system I set out again, this time for the journey home.  The temperature was hot, as in scorching hot and really humid.  I didn't give it much thought.  I only had to walk one block right?  Well, the return trip does NOT stop three blocks from mi casa.  Westroads was the stop.  I could have taken another earlier stop, but I was curious about how long it would take me to hoof it home from Westroads.  When people ask where I live, I generally reference a couple things, but I always say I'm close to Westroads.  I will now amend that to say I live close as in driving distance close.  I left work at 6:15pm, caught my bus at 6:27pm,  dropped off at Westroads by 6:55ish, and walked in my door at 7:24pm.  The walk would have been fine had the heat index not been 115.  It also could have been better had I not been wearing pants and a work polo that didn't breathe as well as I had previously thought.  There was one particular road that did not have sidewalks the entire way and I was reminded a bit of walking to school in Sámara.  Cars were passing me by doing no less than 45 and I was sharing the road.  I also stopped to take a few comical pictures.  Well, I was laughing anyhow.  I might have been delirious due to being dehydrated.

So here are a couple of the photos from the trip. Happy Friday gang!



Going through Benson, I was tempted to get off at Jake's and get a pint!




Best decision of the day! Adidas for the win!

Fellow traveler!

A bit further than I thought....
Really Omaha?  This is a stop?














No comments:

Post a Comment